Fernando Miguel Mercado is a 20-year-old Political Aficionado. While I had always liked History and US Presidents, even giving my first political endorsement to Barack Obama in 2008, my Interest in the realm of politics in general came in three major waves that happened in a short period of time and defined my understanding of the subject. The fist wave began in 2012 or 13 and ended in 2015 with shows like Family Guy introducing me to the issue of Marijuana Legalization, being introduced to The Young Turks on YouTube, and my overall growth as a human being started shifting my views from a rather Socially Conservative kid to a Progressive-Minded Teenager, The Second Wave began in 2015 and ended 7/26/16, with the rise of the Bernie Sanders campaign making me identify as a full-fledged Democrat. But after Wikileaks exposed the DNC rigged the Primaries against him I moved on to the Third Wave. The Third Wave began late 2016 and is still going on to this day, it is the most prominent wave which started with me supporting Dr. Jill Stein and Gov. Gary Johnson and doing more research into Third Parties, Ideologies, and Politicians leading me to want to inform you about what I know.
What are your Political Views?
While I go into extensive detail in the pilot of my podcast E Pluribus Unum's Fireside Chats but to summarize my views, the ideologies I adhere to are Progressivism and Social Democracy. Meaning some issues I take to heart are pushing for a Single-Payer Healthcare System, institute a living wage, and getting money out of politics. I also identify as a Civil-Libertarian, meaning on social issues I feel that you should be free to do whatever you want as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult, I.E. Decriminalizing drug use & legalizing marijuana, and legalizing prostitution & polygamy.
What Political Party do you identify with?
I am a Political Independent because in my home state of North Carolina we have Semi-Closed primaries, which means people registered as a member of a Political Party can only vote in their party's primary whereas Independents can vote in any parties primary. However Political Parties that I feel ideologically close enough to are
- The Green Party: They fight for all the correct issues, although they are slightly to the left of me, as they'd call themselves as Eco-socialists or Democratic Socialists whereas I'd call myself a Social Democrat or Progressive
- The Justice Party: A party started by a Progressive ex-Democrat for Progressive ex-Democrats
- The Pirate Party: I agree the major issues of the party. I.E: Open Government, Net-Neutrality, and Freedom of Information
- The Working Families Party: It has a platform of Progressivism and Social Democracy, but I feel that they should run more candidates rather than endorsing candidates from other parties.
- The Legal Marijuana Now Party: They are a Social Democratic party that is Pro-Weed, and I am both.
- Grassroots-Legalize Cannabis Party: A weed focused version of the Farmer-Labor Party of yesteryear
- U.S. Marijuana Party: Another Social Democratic Pro-Weed Party
- Movement for a People’s Party: While I disagree with starting a new party altogether, I agree with their views and unification among the left
- The Peace and Freedom Party: While they are further to the left of me, they fight for the right issues, and even endorsed Ralph Nader.
- & The Socialist Party USA: While NOTICEABLY further to the left of me as they call themselves Anti-Capitalist while I'm not against Capitalism, they are a Multi-Tendency organization. Which means they are a coalition of Progressives, Social Democrats, Democratic Socialists, Communists, and other Left-Wing groups to accomplish like-minded goals.
Are there any Politicians you admire or look up to?
I mostly look up to Social Democratic or Progressive Politicians who fought for the issues to help the American People. For modern day politicians I admire and look up to Bernie Sanders, Ralph Nader, Dennis Kucinich, Jill Stein, Rocky Anderson, Ro Khanna, Raúl Grijalva, and Cecil Bothwell among others. Whereas for past politicians I admire William Jennings Bryan, Eugene Victor Debs, Teddy Roosevelt, Robert Marion La Follette Sr., Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Henry Agard Wallace, Estes Kefauver, Lyndon Baines Johnson, and Eugene McCarthy.
Are there any politicians that you despise with a burning passion?
Politicians I hate are 9 times out of 10 corrupt and if they aren't I just feel their stances on the issues will hurt a lot more people than it will help. The ones in question are Corporate Neoliberal Democrats (EX. Hillary Clinton, Cory Booker, & Kamala Harris), Neoconservative and Far-Right Conservatives (EX. Ted Cruz, Mike Pence, & Donald Trump), and overall any politicians that lie to their voters.
I like the kind of content you make but hate you, are there any other individuals that make your content but better?
OK first of all that question is worded in a very mean way, secondly Yes. If my main series videos interest you I'd recommend Mr. Beat. But if my podcasts are more interesting to you I'd recommend Secular Talk, The Humanist Report, Jimmy Dore, & The Progressive Voice.
Who are some of your favorite political figures that aren't politicians?
Well for non-politician political figures it'd be former Daily Show host Jon Stewart, Radio Host Thom Hartmann, media figure Ed Schultz, writer Upton Sinclair, novelist George Orwell, journalist Hunter S. Thompson, activist Cornel West, singer Pete Seeger, former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich, and Civil Rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.